My Way, a property of Ask Jeeves, Inc., develops and distributes several downloadable software applications, including browser plug-ins that appear as toolbars within or attached to your Internet browser.
The following guidelines are intended to provide you with a clear understanding of our practices and principles related to all of our downloadable software programs. These guidelines address the following topics:
"Adware" and "Spyware" are terms used to describe certain kinds of software applications:
- Installer Programs
- Uninstall Practices
- Partner Practices
- Reporting Violations of the My Way Downloadable Software Guidelines
- Consumer Protection
- Send us your Feedback
My Way does not engage in any of these activities and its products are not adware or spyware.
- Adware is a software program that specifically monitors a person's Web surfing and disrupts it by displaying contextual pop-up advertising.
- Spyware is a software program that surreptitiously tracks personally identifiable information about a person or organization. It will either save such information or send it to third parties when the person is connected to the Internet. Spyware is stealthy and may attach itself to a person's computer without his or her knowledge or consent. An example of spyware is a program that hijacks a person's modem to change dial-up numbers or a keylogger program that covertly records anything a person types, including passwords, emails and credit card numbers.
My Way believes in clear, concise and complete disclosure before you download and install our applications, including a description of the primary functions of the application. We believe that all language related to My Way applications, whether appearing in the download process or otherwise, should be non-technical, easy-to-read and factually accurate, and not deceptive or misleading. In addition to less-formal disclosures, all My Way downloadable software applications will be distributed with an End User License Agreement (EULA) that is featured prior to installation. And in conjunction with these disclosures, all My Way applications require the consent of the user prior to installation.
My Way does not believe that users should be deceived into downloading or installing our software and condemns deceptive software installation practices. Such practices include, but are not limited to:
We prohibit our online distributors from utilizing these techniques in connection with our software and prohibit them from subcontracting to others who utilize these techniques. My Way monitors our distributors' compliance with our policies and we continually work to implement technological steps designed to prevent such coercive practices.
- "Forced" or "Drive-By" Downloads: this is a practice where a program is downloaded and installed onto a user's computer without the user's permission, and often without the user's knowledge. Malicious Web sites and ad networks accomplish this result by exploiting security flaws in the user's current software, often when the user clicks to close or eliminate a seemingly benign advertisement.
- Misleading Downloads: this is a practice where a company misrepresents the nature of the program it seeks to download and install onto a user's computer by claiming that the program is necessary to the proper function of the user's system. This is usually accomplished with a pop-up window or banner ad that purports to have discovered a problem with the user's computer-for example that the user's clock is not properly synched, a virus or worm is present, or the user is missing a vital system file-and then offers the download as a "solution." Usually, there was no problem to begin with and the download will have installed adware or spyware onto the user's computer.
- Undisclosed Downloads: this is a practice where an unexpected program is bundled with another program that the user is interested in, but the user is never informed (through the EULA or a dialogue box) about that unexpected software until it has already been installed onto the user's computer. These programs are often hidden in the user's system and not easily removable by the user through the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel.
When you download and install an My Way application, you might notice that an installer - in our case named "Easy Installer" is temporarily added to your system. Easy Installer facilitates the installation of our software applications, and is not adware or spyware. After installation is complete and you have re-booted your computer, Easy Installer will be automatically deleted from your system.
All of the My Way downloadable applications are capable of being completely uninstalled by end users in a straightforward manner and without requiring undue effort or skill. For more detailed instructions on how to uninstall an My Way product, please read the FAQs posted on the Web site associated with your My Way product.
My Way products can be downloaded directly from our website. In addition, My Way works with other companies to market our products. We require that these partners observe the same high standards we set for ourselves in connection with our software products. For that reason, My Way's partners and distributors may not:
My Way has an online compliance office responsible for enforcing our policies on a variety of online consumer issues including, among other things, policies related to privacy and our software guidelines. To notify our compliance officer of any violations of our policies or guidelines, please use this form.
- Download any My Way product through any form of nonconsensual download practice (such as by engineering "drive-by" or involuntary downloads);
- Download any My Way product using any type of click fraud (such as by using "mouse trapping" or a "fake close x" to mimic user-initiated click activity) or through any type of misleading download;
- Download or install any My Way product by any other means that does not comply with these guidelines;
- Alter the uninstall process of any My Way product or impede in any way the uninstallation of the My Way product; or
- Bundle any My Way product with spyware;
My Way gathers a standard set of information from a user's computer when the user submits a search query. We use this information to properly process your search request. Importantly, all information collected in connection with a search query is recorded on a non-personally identifiable basis and is kept strictly anonymous, except when a user expressly grants permission for this information to be collected and/or shared (e.g., with a registration-based product) and except as may be required by law or to protect the rights or safety of others.
Reporting Violations of the My Way Downloadable Software Guidelines
My Way users are our most valuable asset and it is essential that both our products and the actions of our partners are consistent with the policies we have in place to protect them. We strive to ensure our products and those of our partners live up to the high standards we set. My Way has an online compliance office responsible for enforcing our policies on a variety of online consumer issues (including its Privacy Policies and these software guidelines), as well as for monitoring its partners' practices. Of course, it is difficult to monitor the entire Internet, so we welcome users' active participation with us in this process. We encourage all of our users to report violations of our policies. As always, we also appreciate any feedback that will enable us to make our products even better (see "Send us your Feedback," below).
To report violations of My Way's policies please use this form.
My Way recommends that consumers who wish to learn more about protecting themselves online visit the safe surfing guide posted by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
That guide also links to an FTC Consumer Complaint form, where consumers can submit complaints regarding violations of their online privacy or rights.
Send us your feedback
We are proud of our products and are committed to continuing to make them even better. Your feedback is a valued part of that process. We look forward to hearing from you. Please use this form to send us your feedback.
© 2007 Ask Jeeves Inc.